Six Sigma certifications and levels depends upon the company’s implementation strategy. While individual with every belt specified might be performing slightly different role in their organization with added responsibilities, here is a basic guide to who does what.
Black belts, Master Black Belts, Green Belts & Yellow Belts are integral part of project. Some organization do have white belts also however they are rarely part of the CI team. These professionals are generally expert in their functions. They work on projects, implement improvements and then return back to their primary role/ function and are aware of basic six sigma concepts.
- Master Black Belt: MBB’s trains and coaches Black Belts, Green Belts, Yellow Belts and White Belts. They work more at program level by developing key metrics and the strategic direction. They also work on selecting and prioritizing projects.
- Black Belt: They leads problem-solving projects high impact and cross functional projects.
- Green Belt: They lead projects of lower magnitude and also assists BB with data collection and analysis for Black Belt projects. Depending upon organization they might or might not be fully dedicated to the CI team. They work on project during allocated time and return to their primary responsibilities after the project.
- Yellow Belt: They work as team members for projects and provide assistance during all stages of the project by completing tasks assigned by the project lead. They may be part of operations team and work on project during allocated time period and then return to their primary responsibilities after the project. They do understand basic Six Sigma concepts from an awareness perspective.
- Champions: Every project needs organizational support. Without the organization support implementation of Six Sigma is not feasible since it is a top down approach. Six Sigma champions set the direction for six sigma team/ group. They ensure that projects succeed by providing necessary resources, funds and commitment and removing any roadblocks. They translate the company’s mission and vision to create an organizational deployment plan and identify individual projects.
Apart from this there are some other certifications also offered by some like six sigma deployment leader however all the other certifications fits primarily into one of the above mentioned roles.